Fire leaves five homeless
Lack of communication slows Red Cross response
A Saturday night fire at the Shane Thrash home southeast of Felt, has left five without a home, and very few personal belongings.
The home burnt to the ground, along with its contents.
The family of five was not at home when the blaze broke out; there were no injuries.
The fire is believed to have started when a compressor failed on a refrigirator.
Red Cross brings family aid
According to Lori Sanders, Executive Director of the Plains Red Cross, her agency was slow in giving aid and succor because she didn't learn of the need until Monday morning.
“A member of a community church called and asked if we knew,” Sanders said.
Sanders continued by saying that a church had collected money so the family could purchase clothing. “That's a good thing,” Sanders said, “But it's something we could do and that money could have gone to purchase things we can't replace, like dishes and appliances.
Sanders' organization covers the entire Oklahoma Panhandle, she being the only paid associate; all the others are volunteers.
“We need board members from Cimarron County , perhaps then we could get the word out to call us,” she said.
Sanders added that the Plains Chapter was also contacted by another Red Cross Chapter when Roger Cobb was recently killed in a traffic accident. His son Nolan is in the Army and the chapter helped make arrangments for his emergency trip home.
We need to know when we need to help, if the dispatchers or firemen would just call us, we'll make appointments,” Sanders said.
Boise City News