“Un-Controlled Intersections

A couple of people have asked recently about this issue so I thought I would talk about it a little. First of all an “un-controlled intersection” is any intersection of two or more public roads where there is no stop or yield sign visible. There are many of these type intersections in Cimarron County including many inside our towns.

The basic rule to remember is that in most intersections with no control signs or a light the person on the right has the right-of-way. This is almost always the case if both roads are either county roads or city streets. An exception is when a paved road and a dirt road intersect. In that case the vehicle traveling on the paved road has the right-of-way. That is a fairly new law.

If you are traveling on any county road or city street and it intersects with a state or federal highway you must yield to traffic on the state or federal roadway regardless if traffic control signs are visible or not. That has always been the case as far as I know.

Signs tend to get knocked down, stolen and neglected so if they are gone or not visible the basic right-of-way rules apply. In short, if you see you are approaching an intersection you should slow down, check for on-coming traffic and look for a sign. If there is not one you should remember these basic rules of the road. Be safe out there.......

Trooper Duane Johnson #280

Oklahoma Highway Patrol